Friday, November 30, 2007

Software review: Mac OS 10.5 Leopard


The latest edition of the Macintosh operating system -- Leopard -- has been out for a month or so now, and i've been using it for a couple of weeks. My oppinion? It seems pretty good, although certainly not a revolution in computing. It seems to introduce mainly small changes.

Best features (IMHO):

- Screen sharing. VNC style remote control of another Mac on your internal network, or even over the net (although i've not tried that). This feature works beautifully. It has saved me switching my monitor back and forward between my two computers every 5 seconds.

- PDF annotations in Preview. Circle, underline, highlight, and comment on any piece of a pdf file. I wish I had these features while I was doing my honours research this past year.

Over-rated:

- Spaces. Multiple virtual desktops. Nifty, but I can't find any useful way to use it. I can never remember which virtual desktop I was working in. Ended up turning it off.

- Stacks. Pop-up display of folder items from the dock. Looks cool, but I've not found it overly helpful. Maybe I'm just stuck in my ways.

So, I'm glad I upgraded, but Leopard doesn't seem to be anything spectacular. Although, I think we'll see Leopard come into its own when software developers begin to take advantage of the improvements to CoreImage , and the other hidden bits and pieces.

3 comments:

Lee said...

And, dare I tell you?, will there be gnashing of teeth?, SPSS doesn't run in Leopard.

What? You're not worried? Well, I never...

Quite frankly it is hard to know anything has changed. I don't use screens, don't like the stacks.

Have been having fun with a beta version of a Filemaker stand alone home database, called Bento, that only runs in Leopard.

Mark said...

Oh no!!!!! SPSS doesn't run!? I haven't tried it yet....awww... :-(

Filemaker 8 is working ok for me under Leopard...at least the functions that i use.

Anonymous said...

I uses "Spaces" along with voice activation and Mac os manages the windows things are in behind the scenes, so I don't have to remember, and because I'm saying "switch to (application) I don't even have to press a key. It's nice.