Friday, January 18, 2008

The Unbearable Awkwardness of Subway

This week I returned to Subway, after having avoided buying sandwiches from them for sometime.

I've been avoiding Subway because I find the consumer experience there a bit traumatic.

First, there's the performance anxiety that comes from the responsibility of designing every aspect of my sandwich under time pressure. What bread? What meat? What salad? Which dressing? Too many choices! And if your sandwich turns out to be disappointing then the blame is all on me.

Second, there's the guilt I feel over micro-managing the sandwich maker. When I order some regular take-away food, sure, the staff member has to prepare and package it for you, but I don't have to stand over them and supervise. Ordering the Subway staff around makes me feel like some kind of sandwich dominatrix...i don't like it.

And when I returned to Subway this week, the experience was much the same. I guess it's the price one has to pay for a delicious custom sandwich...well, that, and about $8.

10 comments:

Lee said...

Sounds a bit daunting. Can you ask for a 'bit of everything'? Or does that cost a lot of something?

Mark said...

well i guess you could, but fence sitting is a bit frowned upon at Subway

Lee said...

OK. How about "what would your recommend?"

Mark said...

Oh Lee! That's even worse! I'd never be able to show my face in polite society again!

Lee said...

Why? It's sort of a Subway sommelier.

Erk said...

Do they have Subway Samplers? :P

Unknown said...

I find it easy, i get the same one every time. Seafood with all salads and no sauce. That way it limits the questions they ask. I try to tell them all at point A. I no longer get stressed ordering.

Mark said...

Perhaps I need to attend some SAT (Subway Assertiveness Training)...I think it might help if the staff in my local Subway looked a little less miserable... they have the look of being oppressed, which I think is a large part of my problem

Luke said...

This is so true Kram. And this is probably why I settle for the meat ball sub with limited fillings as a matter of habit these days. For some reason, I find myself not wanting to make the salesperson uncomfortable.

Erk said...

Is a food court based Subway (like at a Westiefield) any different to a Subway shop?